Saturday, November 22, 2008

18 years old and off to college

1. As the program ends, what pathways does your child appear to be on in terms of physical, cognitive, social, emotional and moral development? To what extent could you have predicted these pathways based on what you knew of your child's earlier development?

Isabelle has turned out well, she is able to make good mature decisions and is very smart and does well in school, she gets along well with peers and has a good relationship with myself and her father. She seeks advice when needed for questions that are beyond her experience. She does well in school and got good grades, she was accepted into a lot of universities near and far away and has a wide choice on where she can pick to go for college. I think that she has been a fairly well behaved child all the way growing up, she listens well and respects authority and is able to make responsible decisions, I had a feeling she would do well.

2. Describe some specific ways in which you think your parenting mattered for your child’s development, based on evidence from the course regarding the contributions of parents to child development.

I think that discipline was key in her development, setting boundaries and making sure I was available to her helped a lot. For instance, when she was struggling in a area, I made sure she got tutoring instead of letting her figure it out by herself. I offered myself for someone to talk to when she was having friend troubles and it gave me the opportunity to connect with her by going for walks and talking together. Also, I took her to church and showed her my values and beliefs and modeled them for her while she was growing up.

3. Describe some specific ways in which your child developed that appeared to be influenced by factors outside your control, such as genes, random environmental events or the general influence of contemporary middle-class American culture.

I think one thing that contributed to her personality that was beyond my control was her sensitivity and having a hard time calming herself down, seems to be a environmental factor than anything I did, she was like that at birth and it showed through adolescence. A physical thing outside of my control was she was very ‘flat chested’ through-out adolescence, that would be a genetic. Some cultural things outside of my control have to deal with peer pressure and making decisions on things, like when she went to a party and called me to get her when she was drunk, I taught her differently when it came to those issues but she made her own decision in the end… I think another American culture ideal would be needing to be fashionable and in the latest fashions… so she wanted new clothes every school year to keep up with friends…

No comments: