Monday, October 27, 2008

10 years 11 months

1. Describe changes in your child’s academic skills between ages 6 and 10 and assess how well these skills are developing. The 5th grade report card will be useful for this but you should also incorporate your own observations. What are you doing to help your child?

Isabelle is doing well in school she is getting good grades and is above level in reading skills. She was has trouble with calming herself down when she is upset and it can affect how she is in school with other students but she gets along with kids for the most part. Isabelle has advanced skills in art and loves to do projects. I set her up with art supplies in a sunny corner in the house so she can do projects. She also entered her art in a fair for school. Isabelle was having some difficulty in math and we got her some tutoring again. My husband and I divorced about 2 years ago and she is adjusting a little better now. She and I have a very close relationship now and talk together about how she feels and I am supportive of her and try to understand and sympathize with her when she is upset.

2. How well is your child adapting to social situations in the home and outside the home? Does your child have any behavior or emotional problems at this point? Why do you think these problems are occurring and what are you doing about them?

Well, Isabelle had some problems after my husband and I divorced but she is doing better now. We spend lots of time together when we are not in school or work and I take her places and we go on vacations to the beach to take a break. She is doing better now and her grades have improved at school.

3. Has your parenting changed since the preschool period and if so, why do you think it has changed and what effect might this have on your child? Refer to your textbook or lecture notes for evidence on typical changes in parenting that occur in middle childhood.

My parenting has changed a bit, It is transforming into a coregulation relationship. “Coregulation: a transitional form of supervision in which they exercise general oversight while permitting children to be in charge of moment by moment decision making”(Berk269). We have a mutual respect for one another and she knows she has to follow my rules and I will be more openhanded with her in letting her do more on her own. I think this will make Isabelle more confident and build her self-esteem and that I trust her. I think this will give her confidence she needs venture into the world as an adult.

1 comment:

Chris Hopkins said...

Jamie,
Isabelle is doing great, and you are doing a great job with her! Keep up the "coregulation" style of parenting, she will respond as you hope I am sure.I just recently went through a "termination" (VC wording) of my relationship as well...(seems to be a lot of it going aroung in our Virtual World)...Keep up the good work with Isabell, she sounds like a bright young star!